Sunday, September 27, 2020

Leonard Bernstein's "Poem for Yom Kippur"

Poem for Yom Kippur   
From the left and from the right I hear: “We have sinned, we have dealt treacherously, we have slandered.”  But I hear another song in my heart: I believe in the truthfulness of art In being energetic, in being sensitive, in the essentials  Today I believe in prayerfulness I believe in the man to come who will give water to the barren areas But first and foremost I believe in Love  And until we stop shedding blood I live in a dream Waiting for the day of love (and), understanding, the day (today).



"But I hear another song in my heart:
I believe in the truthfulness of art
In being energetic, in being sensitive, in the essentials"
As we await the start of Yom Kippur at sundown tonight, take a moment to read Leonard Bernstein's "Poem for Yom Kippur" which he wrote in the late 1940s while studying Hebrew in Tel Aviv.


In the late 1940s, Leonard Bernstein wrote three poems in Hebrew for Yona Shamir, while studying with him in Tel Aviv.

“Poem for Yom Kippur,” read below by actress Laila Robins, captures Bernstein’s devotion to and struggle with his Jewish identity and faith.

Yom Kippur is the holiest day in the Jewish year. Also known as the Day of Atonement, Yom Kippur is solemnly celebrated 10 days after Rosh HaShanah (the Jewish New Year).

For all celebrating, tzom kal — have a safe and easy fast.

Laila Robins reads Bernstein’s “Poem for Yom Kippur” [0:50]:

Audio Player

Poem for Yom Kippur



From the left and from the right I hear:
“We have sinned, we have dealt treacherously, we
have slandered.”

But I hear another song in my heart:
I believe in the truthfulness of art
In being energetic, in being sensitive, in the essentials

Today I believe in prayerfulness
I believe in the man to come
who will give water to the barren areas
But first and foremost I believe in Love

And until we stop shedding blood
I live in a dream
Waiting for the day of love (and), understanding, the day (today).


Yom Kippur (/ˌjɒm kɪˈpʊər, ˌjɔːm ˈkɪpər, ˌjm-/;[1] Hebrewיוֹם כִּיפּוּר‎, IPA: [ˈjom kiˈpuʁ], or Hebrewיום הכיפורים‎, romanizedYom HaKippurim), also known as the Day of Atonement, is the holiest day of the year in Judaism. Its central themes are atonement and repentanceJews traditionally observe this holy day with a day-long fast and intensive prayer, often spending most of the day in synagogue services.



贖罪日希伯來語יום כיפור‎)是在希伯來曆提斯利月之第十天,也是敬畏之日(Yamim Noraim)之一。是猶太人每年最神聖的日子,當天會全日禁食和恆常祈禱。據稱是上帝透過摩西亞倫,要求猶太人遵守的。舊約明載贖罪節的規定:「以色列要永遠尊守下列條例。每年七月初十,以色列人和住在他們中間的外僑必須禁食,不准工作。那一天要行贖罪禮,潔淨他們,使他們得以在上主面前潔淨……這些條例必須永遠遵守。」(利未記16章29至34節)

肋未紀/Leviticus

肋未紀:Chapter 16


29這為你們是一條永久的法令:七月初十,你們應先克己苦身,不論是本地人,或僑居在你們中間的外方人,任何勞工都不許做,
30因為在這一天,你們應為自己贖罪,使自己潔淨,應除去自己的種種過犯,在上主面前再成為潔淨的。
31這是你們全休息的安息日,應克己苦身:這是永久的法令。
32那位受傅,被委任繼承他父親執行司祭職務的大司祭,應舉行贖罪禮。他應穿上亞麻聖衣,
33為至聖所,為會幕和祭壇行取潔禮,為眾司祭和全會眾人民行贖罪禮。
34每年一次,應為以色列子民,為他們的種種罪過行贖罪禮:這為你們是永久的法令。」人就依照上主吩咐梅瑟的做了。

No comments:

Post a Comment